Wednesday, October 22, 2008

119

Psalm 119.

The longest chapter in the Bible.  176 verses.  Considering the psalmist's focus on the power and importance of Scripture, it seems appropriate.  Check out verse 18...

Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in Your law.  

The topic probably tested the writer's thesaurus (did they have a thesaurus?).  When he speaks of God's Word, he uses terms like precepts, laws, commandments, judgments, statutes.

I was chewing on 119 this morning, when something hit me like a ton of bricks.  Three verses that spoke to the benefit of God's discipline in my life.  Let's face it, God's good discipline is NOT a real hot topic of sermons and Bible searches.  But here's what I belted me between the eyes this morning...

I used to wander off until You disciplined me; but now I closely follow Your word.  (Psalm 119:67)

The suffering You sent was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to Your principles.  (Psalm 119:71)

I know, O Lord, that Your decisions are fair; You disciplined me because I needed it.  (Psalm 119:75)

The point is crystal clear.  God DOES disciplines us...and He does it for a reason.  It is good for us.  It calls us back to His Word.  It's fair.  And we need it.

These verses remind me of Paul's words in 2 Corinthians...

For God can use sorrow in our lives to help us turn away from sin and seek salvation.  We will never regret that kind of sorrow.  But sorrow without repentance is the kind that results in death.  (2 Corinthians 7:10)

When you get a moment, crack open Psalm 119.  You'll find some of the richest and deepest truth about truth anywhere in the Bible.

In Christ,
Jay  

No comments: