Tuesday, June 24, 2008

New Beginnings

There's a small plaque on my desk that my daughter Amy gave to me several years ago. It's a picture of a waterfall plunging off a cliff into a deep blue pool. Below the beauty of the image are the words...

New Beginnings: "In life what sometimes appears to be the end is really a new beginning."

I had been through a tough time at work and she was encouraging her dad as only a daughter can.

Years later, I look at that same picture and it makes me smile. And now it carries special significance as we head out into uncharted territory at Freedom River Community Church.

Sunday was Scott Barfoot's last service with us as Senior Pastor. But it's also a new beginning for him. He's heading on to his new position at Dallas Theological Seminary. Scott was not only my pastor, but he's one of my closest friends. I'll miss seeing him on a regular basis and simply hanging out.

It's a new beginning for me as well. I'm both excited and humbled to serve as FRCC's Interim Pastor. Through service at Freedom River and my ongoing seminary classes, God has been preparing me "for such a time as this." And I'm very grateful that Pastor Scott gave me the opportunity to preach on a regular basis in recent months.

While there are several changes at FRCC, we can be absolutely certain that we will stay the course.
We will stay the course in preaching God's Word.
We will stay the course as a river of God's grace.
We will stay the course as a place people can come just as they are.
We will stay the course as a place that loves Jesus.
We will stay the course.

Beyond that, what's ahead? Well, I'm not sure. I have no doubt that some folks are discouraged. But let remind you that Jesus has this way turning the most desperate situation into something mind-blowing. Check out what God said to the prophet Isaiah...

For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. (Isaiah 49:13 NLT)

I've got a funny feeling God is "about to do something new" at Freedom River.

As the plaque says...
"New Beginnings: In life what sometimes appears to be the end is really a new beginning."

In Christ,
Jay

No comments: