Saturday, January 5, 2008

1st Blog & 2nd Corinthians

Well, here's my world premiere into the Blogosphere! I'm been threatening to do this for sometime now. But finally got around to it.

What's the purpose of this blog? We're going to figure that one out together as we go along. I'm sure much of it will focus on my service at church as Worship Leader and occasional Teaching Pastor. Some will be reflections on my own study of the Bible. Other topics may well include my work as a Documentary Photographer at WRAL-TV, my family, sports, music, books, movies and any other incredibly random stuff that runs through my brain.

Will you care? I'm not sure. It is rather egotistical to think someone might care the least little bit about what I have to say about anything. My wife wonders if I've finally lost it and should move back into my parents' basement and take my Star Wars sheets with me. With that in mind, I'll try to keep it short and, hopefully on some level, thought-provoking, funny and interesting.

Why the goofy name? Well, "Jelly & Jam" is a combination of two things. First of all, my nickname is "Jelly Roll." It came from a friend(?) at work about 20 pounds ago. And "Jam" comes from my love of music and my role as Worship Leader at church.

I've recently jumped into a study of 2nd Corinthians. For those who don't know, this is a letter from a guy named Paul to a church in Corinth (southern Greece) in about 55AD. He wrote several letters to them, but we only have two: the books of the Bible we call 1st and 2nd Corinthians.

In chapter one, Paul writes about how God is the source of all comfort. Not just some or even most comfort. ALL comfort. And he says that God will comfort us during our troubles. You can take it to the bank. But when you read on, it's apparent that it doesn't stop there. He comforts us SO THAT we can comfort others.

In just five verses (2 Corinthians 1:3-7), he uses some form of the Greek word "parakaleo." Most Bibles translate it as "comfort." But it can be just as easily rendered "encourage" (as a verb) or "encouragement" (as a noun). I think this may be the case in this passage. To encourage someone is to literally "put courage in" them. It's to let someone know that they can make it in the tough times.

"Parakaleo" is a brother to the Greek word "paraklete," often used to describe the Holy Spirit as the Comforter. A "paraklete" is one who comes alongside, especially in times of trouble. Putting this all together in the context of what Paul has to say, God comes alongside us in our troubles. In turn we are to come alongside others when they face hard times. Kind of a supernatural "Pay It Forward" thing.

The bottom line would seem to be that when we face hard times, God WILL comfort and encourage us...and He'll do it through other believers.

So as we head into 2008, let's not hoard God's comfort and encouragement to ourselves. Let's be ready to come alongside others who are in desperate need of a friend. Hey, God has comforted you. Now it's time to "Pay It Forward!"

Jay

No comments: